Imminence - The Call of the Void

Over the last year I've travelled to some weird and wonderful places which have shaken my understanding of what it means to 'exist' to its core.

Fortunately, amongst all of the thinking I have done (I think) I have also spent time pondering more earthly pursuits.

One that I read a bit about was what is known as the High Place Phenomenon or The Call of the Void.

Radiohead - High and Dry

This phenomenon is something I have experienced along with suicide ideation at various times in my adult life and the explanation for the psychological effect behind it seems reasonable to me because that is how I rationalised it myself.

That said, I wonder if there are practical applications in the field of suicide prevention that have been considered? For example if someone is known to be expressing suicidal thoughts and experiences the Call of the Void could a change in their presentation to still expressing suicidal thoughts but no longer experiencing the Call of the Void suggest that they have breached that psychological boundary and are planning a suicide attempt? 

Eluvitie - Call of the Mountains

I would suggest that this may be different entirely to the feeling this young man got when briefly working at the BBC's Bush House and being terrified of the narrow walkways around the large open central atrium.

Romford Rob Jackson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog